There was some interesting survey results presented recently that we would like to share below regarding Cloud, IaaS, PaaS, SaaS and Big Data. We have left all references and rightful accreditation’s in place.
Who: Real-world cases across a sample of 1,358 respondents.
“With four years of data, we’re now really beginning to see some interesting trends, such as the five-fold increase in SaaS (Software as a Service) adoption to 74 percent and the nearly six-fold increase in PaaS (Platform as a Service) adoption to 41 percent,” said Michael Skok, founder of the Future of Cloud program and general partner at North Bridge Venture Partners.
Select Highlights from the Survey Data:
Cloud Adoption is Strategic
- 49 percent of respondents in this year’s survey are using cloud to fuel revenue generation or new product creation.
- 45 percent of businesses say they already, or plan to, run their company from the cloud, showing how integral cloud is to business.
SaaS Adoption Has More Than Quintupled
- From 11 percent adoption in 2011 to 74 percent in this year’s survey. But in the enterprise it is still mostly transitioning existing applications.
- The front office is leading the way with sales and marketing at 51 percent adoption, and customer service and analytics both at 43 percent adoption.
IaaS and PaaS Adoption Reaching a Tipping Point
- 56 percent of businesses are using Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) technologies to harness elastic computing resources.
- 41 percent of businesses are using PaaS technologies to prototype and develop new applications.
Data Wants to Be Bigger in the Cloud
- Two thirds of respondents believe their data will come to reside in some form of cloud over the next two years as bigger data needs consolidation, and collaboration and creation go online.
- View the 2014 Future of Cloud Computing Survey Presentation
- Read the survey results and analysis at http://mjskok.com/resource/2014-future-cloud-computing-4th-annual-survey-results
- Join the conversation: Future of Cloud on Twitter using hashtag #futurecloud and/or @North_Bridge and @futureofcloud.
- Learn more about Engine Yard at https://www.engineyard.com/features
About North Bridge:
North Bridge Venture Partners and North Bridge Growth Equity are active partners with entrepreneurs providing seed-to-growth financing for innovative companies looking to disrupt big markets. With $3.5 billion in capital currently under management, North Bridge partners, many founders themselves, work with entrepreneurs to apply their expertise in the creation, operation and scaling of market-leaders. The firm has funded more than 170 companies creating many billions in market value. Among those firms are Acquia, Actifio, Cool Planet, Couchbase, Demandware, Mavenir Systems, Paydiant, Proto Labs, Reval and Starent Networks. The firm has offices in Waltham, MA and Palo Alto, CA. To learn more about North Bridge go to http://www.northbridge.com. For more information on the Future of Cloud Computing program, visit: http://mjskok.com/resources/cloud-computing. Follow us at @North_Bridge.
About Engine Yard
Engine Yard is the leading cloud application management platform empowering developers and DevOps to provision, manage and monitor applications in the cloud. Providing unmatched control and choice, Engine Yard delivers a broad and trusted application cloud and expert support that enables organizations to focus on creating great applications, instead of managing their infrastructure. Thousands of customers in 58 countries, from explosive-growth Web startups to Fortune 500 enterprises, run on Engine Yard. Headquartered in San Francisco, Calif., Engine Yard is backed by Benchmark, New Enterprise Associates, Oracle and Amazon.